28 October 2007

analyzing eating habits

Sometimes I go out to lunch with my students. Lately, I've noticed I eat a lot faster than them. Ramsey always tells me I need to chew my food more to help out my digestion process-that way I won't have bloating or gas. Anyway, I was thinking about it, and the whole thing stems from childhood. I grew up with three older brothers who were all growing boys so there was a certain amount of food they needed to eat. If my mom cooked, she would often make casseroles. You had to eat really fast in order to get second helpings. Because there was never enough second helpings for everyone. Especially with potato casserole or another favorite dish. I remember always pacing myself while I ate, because I always wanted to be the one with the extra serving. Now a days, I need to remind myself that I'm not going to starve. In fact I will feel more full if I eat more slowly. But sometimes, it's hard to remember and I go into "wolf mode." Wolves eat very fast and over stuff themselves because they don't know when their next meal is going to be.

Now when I visit home, there is always enough food. Maybe because my brothers don't eat as much anymore. Who knows, but for some reasons when I was a kid, I was always starving!

1 comment:

  1. When I was a kid, there was never enough food. This effected Mark the most. Both he and I feared starving as children, but now Mark still has that fear. That's why Mark loves buffets so much.

    ReplyDelete