21 January 2008

racist old ladies

I couldn't believe what I overheard at sacrament meeting today. The 2nd counselor was reading all of the names of the new members in the ward. Two of which were Spanish names. One I recall was Anisa Flores. This old lady behind me said really loudly even though she was "whispering" to her other old lady friend:

And I quote:

"Sounds like these people need to be in the Spanish branch"


Did I miss something? Just because you have a Spanish name you're not supposed to go to an English speaking ward or something? I'm glad my name isn't Vanessa Flores because then I would feel out of place in the Millcreek 2nd Ward. Ramsey looked so shock because he overheard her say it too. Wow. Just wow.

6 comments:

  1. That's too bad that they don't get it. The church would prefer we don't have language branches, they only do that so that older member that would have trouble learning English, wouldn't be left out. It's not a tool to segregate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need to be in the Spanish branch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. That's just as bad as the old lady at a BYU game who told a couple (where one was caucasian and the other african american) that they were wrong and sinning by being together. It's amazing to think there are LDS people out there who think that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. keep in mind, older members grew up in a different time than us. some of them just don't know any better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing I don't have old ladies in my ward...I don't want to be in the spanish branch! And Jorge doesn't either...the attitude there is generally wrong (=little mexico in provo)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, people are funny. As my Grandma would say, "people are the funniest people there are."

    ReplyDelete