23 October 2008

Lasik!

I haven't posted for a while, but I'll fill you in. Right now I'm in the process of getting lasik done. After many hours of research, I've decided that now would be a good time. I'm going on an 18 month interest free plan to afford the procedure. There are a couple of different laser technologies. The one that I'm going to have performed is wavefront. Wavefront is custom lasik which is $1750 per eye as opposed to traditional lasik that is $1200 per eye. Wavefront scans and makes measurements to your eyes and only your eyes. Traditional measures to a default refraction measurement. So if I'm -3.75, they will have that set on a standard -3.75 default. Among the advantages of waverfront technology, I may be able to see 20/15 and have better night vision. With traditional you can see 20/40 or 20/20. Wavefront will also correct higher abberations like my astigmitism. There are a lot of details, but that's the base of it. I met with my ophthalmologist for the last two days. The first day, I did scans to see how large my cornea is-to see if I'm even eligible. 1 out of 10 people are not elegible because they don't have enough tissue to spare. I found out I was eligible on Monday and then I came back Tuesday and picked out some free glasses to wear for two weeks. I would have had my own glasses except that my miniature dachshund made little teeth marks on the lens. I have to be free of contacts for two weeks so my cornea shape goes back to normal. So now I'm waiting for my pair of glasses that should come in a week. I have my pre-op scheduled for November 15th. They will dilate my eyes and do some more tests and then a couple days after I will undergo my 90 second procedure with lasers!! It doesn't hurt. That's the best part. And I get valium to calm my nerves. That's cool too. But I'm still really nervous. So wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats! One day I'll get lasik, if I can ever get over how freaked out it makes me feel. Let me know how yours goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!1 So excited for you!! I am hoping to do that one day to. Yeah, Utah prices! My optometrist here told me it would be like $6000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Ness and Good luck! I wanna hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's exciting! and a little scary. Let me know how to goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds exciting. So, you can have better vision than normal vision, eh? That sounds pretty nice. I hope it turns out well.

    I'm sure it'll be a relief not to have to put things in/on and take things out from your eyes so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you'll see better than me!

    ReplyDelete