28 November 2009

U.T.I.s and Thanksgiving Dinner: Polar Opposites in Pleasure

So two things that have happened lately-A UTI and Thanksgiving dinner. Let's start with UTIs.
A UTI stands for Urinary Tract Infection. I've had two before. Well recently I got another one. I tried to hold out going to the hospital as long as I could because I really didn't want to go. I mean c'mon I'm in a foreign country-it's scary.

Well, I finally couldn't stand it. My pee burned and I had to go every 10 minutes so I got my friend Jenny to go with me and translate. I've decided that the hospital experience in China isn't that bad-plus it was super duper cheap. Like 1/20th the cost of an American hospital. But one thing that was kind of disturbing was that the bathrooms had dirty, "squat-over-a-hole" toilets, and no soap anywhere-none in the bathrooms and nowhere to be possibly found. What the freak! It's a hospital for goodness sakes! Good thing I had some hand sanitizer with me. McDonald's here is by far more sanitary than a Chinese public hospital.

Anyway, the doctor confirmed I indeed had a UTI and said it was only a minor one so he only prescribed me three days of antibiotics. I told him in the past I always had to take them for 7 days. Well he dismissed my concerns and therefore I took them for three days and recently I feel like I have it again. I went to the same doctor and he tested my pee again and said the levels were normal and I didn't have the infection anymore but that my protein levels in my pee were astonishingly high and he wanted me to do another test but this time for kidney disease (one of the symptoms being chronic UTIs). So at this point I have to save my pee for 24 hours so the lab technicians can test it. I am going back on Monday. I'm sure I'm fine. Don't worry, however I think my UTI is back and no one believes me and on top of that I think the bacteria had a chance to develop a resistance to this particular antibiotic. So now if I do indeed have it back, I have to find a different kind. So I may get a second opinion soon, but I want to wait til I get the results of my kidney test.



While we're on the subject of antibiotics, this particular antibiotic I took is totally my friend now because by chance it killed a really ugly ganglion cyst on top of my wrist that I've been self conscious of for like 6 months now. I have no idea how it did it because all of the medical reports say the only way to get rid of a ganglion cyst is by draining it and even then it will probably come back. And sometimes they shrink but it takes like 10 years or something ridiculous. Needless to say I felt really depressed about it but this Chinese antibiotic killed it overnight and I believe would also have cured by UTI with 100% effectively if my doctor would have let me get more than 3 days worth of it.



So this UTI is a bummer but Thanksgiving was so awesome and cheered me up! The whole month I was feeling kind of depressed because I didn't know what to do about Thanksgiving. It's not like turkeys are easy to come by here and plus I don't have an oven. Well while my visiting teacher was visiting me she asked if everything was going ok and if there was something she could do. I told her my depression over possibly no Thanksgiving and she immediately invited me and Ramsey to join her and her husband for Thanksgiving!

I guess this invitation inspired her because after a few days about 20 people (mostly young couples or singles from our branch) were invited as well and it turned into a potluck. I started thinking oh no, I wonder if there will be enough room or food. It turned out there was plenty of room in their apartment and plenty of delicious food. These people sure know how to cook! They even made salad divine with cranberries, nuts, and homemade vinaigrette dressing. I don't think there was any turkey, but there was a delicious roasted and marinated duck. It was super tasty. There were tons of different side dishes like stuffing, creamed corn, honey butter, corn bread, green beans, mashed potatoes, yams, and tons of delicious pies. Because libby's doesn't exist one of the sisters actually cooked a real pumpkin for her pumpkin pie and made homemade cream. I can go on and on about how amazing all of these dishes were but suffice it to say, I was one happy girl. I loved socializing with everyone, laughing til my side ached, and getting to know people that I've previously only casually talked to.

Thank you church people! I love that even though I'm thousands of miles away from home, I always have a family here through my church. I am so blessed!

1 comment:

  1. I hope the UTI is all gone. Sounds like your Thanksgiving was great - even thousands of miles away.

    ReplyDelete